CARDS FOR SALE

Most cards you see on this site are available for purchase. Simply click the Pay Now button at the bottom of the post of an available card to purchase the card. You will be linked to PayPal for payment. It will come up as "greensnaggletooth@cox.net" which is the name of my internet company. Price is $5.00 unless otherwise stated and includes shipping. Your card will come with an envelope also. Email me with any questions or requests at: sharynsstampbiz@gmail.com
Thanks for taking a look at my creations!!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Two By Two

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Noah.  I have always enjoyed reading it.  It is where my love of rainbows comes from and the meaning of the rainbow as a symbol of God's promise has stayed with me all my life.  I also was always amazed that all those animals would board the ark two by two and co-habitate together for all that time.  The inspiration for my card today comes from this story.  I first saw one of these done by a demonstrator named Sharon White.  I have always wanted to make one and when I woke up today and was thinking about the story of Noah while in the shower, I decided to give it a try.  There are aspects of it I really like and aspects I would change.  I will go over all that as we look at the card.


This is the first ark I have made.  I do not know how Noah built his ark but I am sure his was much more impressive than mine.  Anyway, I started with a base card of Pumpkin Pie (5 1/2" x 8 1/2" , scored at 4 1/4").  Next comes a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of Whisper White which has been chalked with pastels to resemble a sky.  I turned to the Pacific Point to make my water and used my Cricut machine along with the Life's A Beach cartridge to cut out the waves.  I cut various sizes so I could place some behind the ark and some in front of it.  I did not think about the fact that most of the waves would be hidden behind the ark.  Oh well.  I used my Plaintin SchoolBook cartridge to help me make the ark.  I used Early Espresso card stock to make the ark.  The first shape I cut was for the bottom of the boat.  I used an oval measuring 4 ".  I cut 5 of these and layered them one on top of the other.  I flattened the end to make them more like sides.  For the "house" of the ark, I cut a 3" square and for the roof, I used a 1 3/4" rectangle which I scored every 1/4".  To make the port holes, I punched 3/4" circles from Crumb Cake card stock and 1/2" circles from Basic Black.  The ark pieces and port holes were attached using liquid glue.  I added Stickles glitter glue dots to the waves in front for visual effect.


One thing I would change when making this card again is the color scheme for my giraffes.  I was truly not thinking when I was making them using Early Espresso card stock about how they would blend with the ark.  So next time, I would either use a different color for the giraffes or for the ark.  Besides the Espresso, I used So Saffron card stock.  I cut strips that are 3/4" wide and 2 1/2" long.  I added dots to the necks punched from the circle of the itty bitty punch pack.  The heads are wide ovals.  I punched one in Espresso and cut the ends off to make the muzzle.  The ears are the small heart punch cut in half.  For the antlers, I used my retired horizontal slot punch (scraps work just as well) and 1/4" circles punched with the hand punch.  For the eyes, I got the white part from the owl punch and the black from the 1/4" hand punch.  They do have manes on their necks but you cannot really see them since they blend in with the ark.  I used my scallop edge punch for these.  I made nostrils for my fine fellows using the 1/8" hand punch.  All parts of the giraffe were adhered together using a liquid glue.  The finished giraffes were attached to the ark with the same glue.  I added white gel to the eyes and antlers.  Black marker was added to the neck of both and to the female giraffe for eye lashes.


I just love my elephants.  They are made from Basic Gray card stock.  I used the 1 1/4" circle for the head.  I punched out a butterfly for each elephant, cut it in half and attached it for the ears.  The trunk is the large petals from the blossom builder punch.  The eyes are the same as the giraffes.  I adhered all pieces using the same liquid glue as before and also used it to attach the elephants to the card.  I added the white gel to the eyes and ears for these.  The mouths and wrinkles on the trunks were added with a fine tip black marker.  I also used it to add eye lashes to the female.  

Now I have a very sad photo to show you.  


You see, I made my sets of animals before attaching any of them to the ark.  I wanted to have 3 types on it so I made the polar bears.  But when I started placing the animals, I realized they would not all fit.  So the little polar bears were left off the ark.  So sad.  I think I will see if I can make my animals a little smaller next time so that I can fit more animals.  I really hated to leave any off.  

Well that's it for today.  I hope you all have a wonderful day and spend some time doing something you love.  I will be back tomorrow with another share.  Thanks for stopping by today.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment